One Best Thing

imageJ

One Best Thing is a series of books written by Apple Distinguished Educators. The particular book that I decided to read was Design Secrets Revealed: Teaching Students the Principles of DesignThis was a book that really all teachers should read, it wasn’t one that was geared toward a specific subject. In this short book author, Keri-Lee Beasley, shares the troubles go getting students work back that is difficult to read or follow because of their design. So she has created a visual mnemonic to help students understand design. She uses the word carp for contrast, alignment, repetition, and proximity.

I think that having kids understand her simple principles of design will produce better posters, art work, powerpoint’s, and in any visual presentation. As a future Family and Consumer Science Teacher interior and clothing design could very well be something that I end up teaching and using Keri-Lee’s principles I could get across to my students what they will need in projects and in designing a living room. Because these design principles are very straight forward I feel that they will easily be able to adapt it from creating a powerpoint to creating a bathroom design.